Monday, August 28, 2006

Web 2.0 - Is it right for you?

I have immersed myself in the "blogosphere" for the past few months, trying to learn as much as I can about every aspect of the new media revolution. One thing that has always made me laugh was many cats' insistence that "You need to go into new media or you will die." This is ridiculous. When confronted with that type of comment, I immediately think of laundry detergent. How is Tide, something that is about as technical as a bag of rocks, going to be taken seriously in a tech setting. Is that where their core customers are?

I think many bloggers are quick to conclude they are the cutting edge, and this is where things are moving. I beg to differ. I can't reasonably see actual benefit for traditional brands....

I thought I should delete all the text, but it seems you have come upon me during a stroke of enlightenment.

What if Tide had a web space dedicated to getting stains out of your clothes? The target market is probably going online to find out about these things already (if they are searching). I wonder if it would convert Purex and Arm & Hammer users to switch...

Maybe there is a space for everyone on the net...